"SURE-GRIP" Pulley Friction Laggings for Glide Belt conveyors
THE VTORTSVETMET SUKHOLOZHSKY PLANT erected a modern, low-maintenance recycling factory for industrial scrap and household waste, with sorting plants, shredding plants, and melting furnaces.
The more than 250-metre long conveyor lines are equipped with two driven and four non-driven pulleys. Their belt speed is 0.5 m/s, with fully automatic transport systems, which include a computer-controlled shredding system and installed separators for metals and plastics.
In 2014, sales of more than € 20 million were generated by 350 employees.
Original rubber tires were used as OEM original equipment. However, these had been unsuitable for continuous use, because of the slippage of the transport belt, particularly in the case of high humidity and moisture.
Our task was to develop a new type of pulley friction lagging offering high friction, low wear, and both slippage-free and eco-friendly features for both driven and non-driven pulleys.
The pulleys are meant to be operated in glide belt transport systems in a new waste and metal recycling factory in Irkutsk, Siberia, under extreme environmental conditions of under minus 40 °C.
- A high coefficient of friction µ > 0.8 against existing glide belts, ensuring slippage-free transport belt drive
- Low friction lagging wear and low belt wear
- Blue friction lagging colour matching the company’s corporate identity and its efforts for a better and cleaner environment
- High corrosion and chemical resistance relative to conventional tire rubber lagging
- Safe grip even in humid, moist, and wet working environments
- Safe grip even at extreme temperatures below minus 40 ° C
OUR SOLUTION / TECHNICAL FEATURES
We successfully developed a customer-specific, highly wear-resistant special blue rubber friction lagging.
In addition to fulfilling the technical requirements, our SURE-GRIP friction lagging for dual use on both driven and non-driven pulleys is a very cost-effective alternative to conventional rubber friction laggings.
SURE-GRIP friction laggings are the best choice and preferred over ceramic pulley friction laggings for the woven glide belt conveyors because they meet 100% of the corresponding technical requirements.
TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF SURE-GRIP PULLEY FRICTION LAGGINGS FOR GLIDE FABRIC BELT TRANSPORT SYSTEMS
- Extremely high adhesion values/coefficients of friction towards the smooth webbing surface of the glide belts
- Low shore A 40 material hardness
- A special friction surface design features monolithic, raised friction elements surrounded by a characteristic and efficient water-drainage groove design
- The friction elements may have a conical, bowl-shaped surface which increases the friction coefficient, and generates a quasi-vacuum against the smooth glide belt surface
- The friction elements’ surfaces feel dull and rough due to their Roughtop coating
RESULTS IN PRACTICE
We achieved complete fulfillment of the task set by our contract partner on all technically required parameters.
Our SURE-GRIP friction laggings successively replaced the old tire rubber laggings in the entire glide belt transport system.
The previously serious loss of transportation/downtime due to slipping conveyor belts and their high maintenance and repair costs was completely ended, increasing transport belt system productivity by more than 60%. This significantly improved profits.
The development of the SURE-GRIP pulley friction lagging for fabric glide belt transport systems generated a very durable rubber lagging material. Thanks to the unique feature of quasi-vacuum-induced high friction coefficients and rough, raised Roughtop friction elements, future new applications/installations can be engineered and installed, and existing installations can be greatly improved.
Our SURE-GRIP pulley friction laggings are meant for worldwide use as the ultimate high-performance friction laggings for the continuous transport of bulk materials via fabric glide belt conveyors. Fabric glide belts, in contrast to the much more frequently used rubber belts, possess a special feature. Their backside, which is in rolling contact with the pulleys of such glide belt transports, does not have a rubber cover layer, but rather have a non-load-bearing fabric backside made of very smooth, special plastic fabrics.
This fabric surface has a very low coefficient of friction of µ < 0,20 - 0, and thus enables the dynamic transport of bulk materials on smooth sheet metal, wood, and plastic webbings, rather than running dynamically over guide and support roll systems, as is the case for rubber conveyor belts.
SPECIAL CHARACTERISTICS of MICKE SURE-GRIP PULLEY FRICTION LAGGINGS:
- Very high friction/adhesion values of µ 0.7 to 1.0 by means of conical suction cup-friction surface elements on the friction lagging top side (working surface)
- Dull contact surface of the conical friction surface elements featuring a very rough, extremely grippy Roughtop structure
- Resistant to solvents, greases, oils, humidity, moisture, water, dirt, ice, and snow
- Low material hardness of shore A 40
- Very low inherent material wear V < 70 mm³ according to DIN 53516
- Non-measurable wear of counter-material on the backside of fabric glide belts
- Adhesive and service-friendly CN back coating (no buffing required prior to application of rubber contact bonding glue)
- Significantly higher coefficients of friction (adhesion values) against a fabric glide surface than rubber tire laggings for rubber conveyor belts and ceramic friction linings for rubber conveyor belts, due to the eraser-like properties on very smooth surfaces
MAIN APPLICATION RANGE OF HIGH FRICTION SURE–GRIP RUBBER PULLEY LAGGINGS
Friction lagging for drive pulleys and all non-driven pulleys in fabric glide belt transport systems for transporting bulk materials.
Industrial sectors in which our SURE-GRIP high-performance friction laggingsare already in use on pulleys of glide belt transport systems:
- Recycling plants, processing plants, garbage sorting plants
- Packaging industry
- Parcel services
- Food factories
- Woodworks, sawmills